Mik

From: ajdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ajdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew Clement
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 11:38 AM
To: ajdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Thomas,

> I am currently working on a project with AJDT and among other things I
> worked on the package viewer.But when I tried to figure out if the
> selected ICompilationUnit is an aspect or a class I noticed that AspectJ
> does not extend the IJavaElement or IMember of org.eclipse.jdt.core even
> though it seems to me very natural to do so as AspectJ itself is an
> extension of Java.
> Can someone explain me, why AspectJ elements do not extend one of these
> interfaces? I would like to know if it is not feasible or if there are
> other reasons for it?
>
> (I noticed the development task "Rebase on extended JavaModel rather than
> AJDE StructureNodes" but I am not quite sure if the same thing is meant
> with it and furthermore if it has the same intention I do not see why it
> was not done in the beginning and I am very interested in the reasons
> for this.

You are right, the development task you highlight is one of the work items that will include the fundamental
JDT work we need to  do to make aspects first class objects in the JDT comparable with normal class
files.  We haven't done it  so far simply because it is a large piece of work - the fundamentals of java
like 'source files end with .java', and those source files either define classes or interfaces is engrained
deeply within/throughout the JDT.   We hope to get to it this summer.

As part of that work, the important thing is that we need to ensure we do it in a way that will work as
Eclipse moves forward - so perhaps we'll do the entire extension as Aspects ...

regards,
Andy.
AJDT Development

Back to the top