[4diac-dev] Propsal: Remove name validation in 4diac IDE model

Hi,

as part of our endeavor in improving loading and saving performance of 4diac IDE (thanks to David for the great profiling analysis), we noticed that we spent
quite some time in the different setName() methods of our model. The reason for this is that this method is always performing a validation if the given name is
a valid identifier. While this is quite convenient it has several issues:
  - it stores the validation result in some 4diac specific model which can not be used by standard Eclipse platform means
  - we have introduced name checkers in our input fields and commands so that typically we have no need to check always
  - in larger systems it takes app. 10% of the loading time, which is already quite significant

Therefore I would like to propose to remove the automatic name checking in the set name method and furthermore, to also remove the annotation model and replace
it in the near future with the default Eclipse error/warning.

As this is quite an impacting change I wanted to ask here if you see any issues that I might have overseen.

Cheers,
Alois

Back to the top