Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Out of heap space when exporting plugin
Out of heap space when exporting plugin [message #330655] Thu, 07 August 2008 14:11 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: pavel.orehov.gmail.com

Hi,

I work with Eclipse Standard Edition 3.3.1 version on WinXP. I am trying to export, created by me plug-in with "Export Wizard" from "Overview" plug-in tab. During the build process I get an error message that Eclipse is out of heap space. I tried to increase the Eclipse heap space to 1GB (don't let me more).

My startup.ini
--------------
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
-vmargs
-Xms64m
-Xmx940m

However, it not enough, I continue to get the same error.

Yes, I have about 200 classes in my plug-in and dependencies to other plug-ins but still the memory usage is too big.

So my question is what is the alternative ways to export plugins and why Eclipse takes so much memory ? Actually, I will appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Pavel
Re: Out of heap space when exporting plugin [message #330664 is a reply to message #330655] Thu, 07 August 2008 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter Harley is currently offline Walter HarleyFriend
Pavel Orehov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work with Eclipse Standard Edition 3.3.1 version on WinXP. I am trying to export, created by me plug-in with "Export Wizard" from "Overview" plug-in tab. During the build process I get an error message that Eclipse is out of heap space. I tried to increase the Eclipse heap space to 1GB (don't let me more).
>
> My startup.ini
> --------------
> -showsplash
> org.eclipse.platform
> --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
> 256m
> -vmargs
> -Xms64m
> -Xmx940m
>
> However, it not enough, I continue to get the same error.
>
> Yes, I have about 200 classes in my plug-in and dependencies to other plug-ins but still the memory usage is too big.
>
> So my question is what is the alternative ways to export plugins and why Eclipse takes so much memory ? Actually, I will appreciate any help.

You certainly should not need that much memory to build a plug-in of the
size you describe. By comparison, I regularly build
org.eclipse.jdt.core with much less memory than that.

Are there any errors in your error log? Are there any details of the
heap error (e.g., a stack trace)?

I notice that your eclipse.ini does not specify any particular JRE.
What JRE are you using? Are you sure? Have you tried explicitly
specifying a particular JRE to run Eclipse in, and if so, which one?

Are there any unusually large JAR files on the build path (e.g., bigger
than 20MB)?
Re: Out of heap space when exporting plugin [message #330667 is a reply to message #330655] Thu, 07 August 2008 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: pavel.orehov.gmail.com

I am using JRE 1.5 and the plug-in project size is 16MB.
Re: Out of heap space when exporting plugin [message #330711 is a reply to message #330655] Mon, 11 August 2008 11:52 Go to previous message
Mariot Chauvin is currently offline Mariot ChauvinFriend
Hi Pavel,

Just to mention that there is a great tool to find the reason of an Out of memory error : http://www.eclipse.org/mat/
Hope this help.

Regards,

Mariot

Pavel Orehov a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I work with Eclipse Standard Edition 3.3.1 version on WinXP. I am trying to export, created by me plug-in with "Export Wizard" from "Overview" plug-in tab. During the build process I get an error message that Eclipse is out of heap space. I tried to increase the Eclipse heap space to 1GB (don't let me more).
>
> My startup.ini
> --------------
> -showsplash
> org.eclipse.platform
> --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
> 256m
> -vmargs
> -Xms64m
> -Xmx940m
>
> However, it not enough, I continue to get the same error.
>
> Yes, I have about 200 classes in my plug-in and dependencies to other plug-ins but still the memory usage is too big.
>
> So my question is what is the alternative ways to export plugins and why Eclipse takes so much memory ? Actually, I will appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
> Pavel
Previous Topic:Open a file from outside workspace in my form editor.
Next Topic:[CommonNavigator] Customizing the ViewPart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 05 21:42:43 GMT 2024