Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting?
how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting? [message #300219] Sat, 04 March 2006 19:55 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: yinglcs.aim.com

how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting but KEEP my file history
(use in the compare with/replace with)?
Re: how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting? [message #300222 is a reply to message #300219] Sat, 04 March 2006 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: varavamu.yahoo.com

once you stop Eclipse, delete all the files at this location:
<workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime

and when you restart Eclipse, your preference settings will have been
erased.

hth,
Vijay

yinglcs wrote:
> how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting but KEEP my file
> history (use in the compare with/replace with)?
>
Re: how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting? [message #300229 is a reply to message #300222] Sun, 05 March 2006 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: automatic.javalobby.org

Well, only the preferences for the runtime plugin. There's still a lot of preferences stored in other areas (e.g. the JDT preferences and so on).

What might be better is to export the preference(s) from the Preferences window to a file; then open it up in an editor to check that it's got the ones you want. Then delete the entire .metadata directory (not whilst Eclipse is running!!) and restart Eclipse. Then import the preferences you want back again afterwards.

Each plugin has its own directory in .plugins, and each has its own preferences and other miscellany in there.

Alex.
Re: how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting? [message #300230 is a reply to message #300229] Sun, 05 March 2006 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

but the OP wanted to save the history - so we cant delete the .metadata
area.

vijay

Alex Blewitt wrote:
> Well, only the preferences for the runtime plugin. There's still a lot of preferences stored in other areas (e.g. the JDT preferences and so on).
>
> What might be better is to export the preference(s) from the Preferences window to a file; then open it up in an editor to check that it's got the ones you want. Then delete the entire .metadata directory (not whilst Eclipse is running!!) and restart Eclipse. Then import the preferences you want back again afterwards.
>
> Each plugin has its own directory in .plugins, and each has its own preferences and other miscellany in there.
>
> Alex.
>
Re: how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting? [message #300232 is a reply to message #300230] Sun, 05 March 2006 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: automatic.javalobby.org

Good point, well made. Where's that stored? in the .metadata directory, or in one of the .plugins location? (Of course, the same still applies that it may not be just settings in the org.eclipse.runtime area.)

Alex.
Re: how can I clear the eclipse preference/setting? [message #300239 is a reply to message #300232] Sun, 05 March 2006 15:14 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

i looked at the contents of the .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.runtime
directory - and it does contain *.prefs - which are the preferences for
each individual plugin. So - deleting them and running with -clean
should do what the OP asked for.
But there are some plugins which store view state within the
'dialog_preferences.xml' files - which are in each separate directory.

Vijay

Alex Blewitt wrote:
> Good point, well made. Where's that stored? in the .metadata directory, or in one of the .plugins location? (Of course, the same still applies that it may not be just settings in the org.eclipse.runtime area.)
>
> Alex.
>
Previous Topic:Plugins and Network Programming (Best Practice)
Next Topic:URLClassLoader works only outside plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 15:25:50 GMT 2024