Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Source drop build problem? Completing Install splash always on (R-2.1.2-200311030802)
Source drop build problem? Completing Install splash always on (R-2.1.2-200311030802) [message #156288] Thu, 13 November 2003 12:57 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: rmuniz.novell.com

Hi all,

When I build the drop source for R-2.1.2-200311030802, (no custom code, just what is out in the site) the resulting eclipse always shows the "Please wait...Completing the Install" splash screen when it starts. I searched the newsgroups and I could not find anyone with the same problem (meaning building fresh out of the source and with the splash screen problem.)

Is this normal?, I was expecting to see the usual Eclipse splash screen the second time, I know the "Please wait ... Completing the Install" the install always shows the very first time eclipse is started, and there is no workspace directory. The workspace directory gets created just fine, but if I shutdown eclipse and restart it again the same splash screen comes up, all the time. The correct bmp is found in right in the eclipse directory and in the ...eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.platform.

I have tried it building both ways, downloading the included source as a zip( eclipse-sourceBuild-srcIncluded-2.1.2.zip), and downloading the build scripts (eclipse-sourceBuild-srcFetch-2.1.2.zip) which get the source from the cvs site, with the same result.

Originally I thought I had done something wrong but after a few times I am thinking either the build is like that or I am missing some piece of info. I have followed the steps in the site to the letter several times with the same result. ( http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1.2-2003110 30802/srcIncludedBuildInstructions.html and http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1.2-2003110 30802/srcFetchBuildInstructions.html)

I have tried building from eclipse and out of eclipse using the console command build -os win32 -ws win32 -install c:\dev\eclipse

I am using the SUN's j2sdk 1.4.1, ant 1.4, and CVS 1.11.1.3 on windows 2k.

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Rene Muniz
Re: Source drop build problem? Completing Install splash always on (R-2.1.2-200311030802) [message #156379 is a reply to message #156288] Thu, 13 November 2003 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jean-Christophe Deprez is currently offline Jean-Christophe DeprezFriend
i know if the eclipse program directory is read-only it does that every
time. it also takes much longer to start. i think it's because they
moved the '.config' directory to inside the eclipse program directory,
and that directory needs to be written to. apparently they are migrating
from the 'common installation for all users' model back to the 'one
installation per user' model. :(

-alvin
Re: Source drop build problem? Completing Install splash always on (R-2.1.2-200311030802) [message #156583 is a reply to message #156379] Fri, 14 November 2003 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dorian.birsan.net

"Alvin Thompson" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:3FB3D890.5020806@nowhere.com...
> i know if the eclipse program directory is read-only it does that every
> time. it also takes much longer to start. i think it's because they
> moved the '.config' directory to inside the eclipse program directory,
> and that directory needs to be written to. apparently they are migrating
> from the 'common installation for all users' model back to the 'one
> installation per user' model. :(

Alvin, can provide more details on your last sentence?
I thought initially the config state was associated with a workspace, and
now it is associated with either the product (if it is writeable) or with
the user.

>
> -alvin
Re: Source drop build problem? Completing Install splash always on (R-2.1.2-200311030802) [message #156735 is a reply to message #156379] Fri, 14 November 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

Alvin, thank you for help me, however I checked the access to the directory and to every file underneath and all of them were read-write, any other clues. : ( Still every time I run it the "Please wait... Completing the install" splash comes up. Does anybody else see the same problem when building eclipse strait out of CVS?

- Rene

>>> Alvin Thompson<nobody@nowhere.com> 11/13/2003 12:16:32 PM >>>
i know if the eclipse program directory is read-only it does that every
time. it also takes much longer to start. i think it's because they
moved the '.config' directory to inside the eclipse program directory,
and that directory needs to be written to. apparently they are migrating
from the 'common installation for all users' model back to the 'one
installation per user' model. :(

-alvin
Re: Source drop build problem? Completing Install splash always on (R-2.1.2-200311030802) [message #156941 is a reply to message #156735] Fri, 14 November 2003 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jean-Christophe Deprez is currently offline Jean-Christophe DeprezFriend
hmm...try specifying the '-configuration' switch. it's something like:

-configuration file:c:/wherever/filename

where 'wherever' is replaced by whatever path you want and 'filename' is
whatever name you want for the config file.

hth,
alvin
Re: Source drop build problem? Completing Install splash always on (R-2.1.2-200311030802) [message #157447 is a reply to message #156288] Sun, 16 November 2003 13:26 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

Ok, I think I figure it out, the reason the "Please wait...Completing the Install" splash was always coming up was that there were two files missing from the eclipse root directory, these were the .eclipseproduct file and the install.ini file. Once I copied them to the root dir the normal splash started to show. I do not know why they are not copied there by the build, but I sure learned a lot figuring this out, by the way sincere thanks to Alvin and others who offered their help and knowledge, thanks guys :-)

- rm -

>>> Rene Muniz<rmuniz@novell.com> 11/13/2003 5:57:35 AM >>>
Hi all,

When I build the drop source for R-2.1.2-200311030802, (no custom code, just what is out in the site) the resulting eclipse always shows the "Please wait...Completing the Install" splash screen when it starts. I searched the newsgroups and I could not find anyone with the same problem (meaning building fresh out of the source and with the splash screen problem.)

Is this normal?, I was expecting to see the usual Eclipse splash screen the second time, I know the "Please wait ... Completing the Install" the install always shows the very first time eclipse is started, and there is no workspace directory. The workspace directory gets created just fine, but if I shutdown eclipse and restart it again the same splash screen comes up, all the time. The correct bmp is found in right in the eclipse directory and in the ...eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.platform.

I have tried it building both ways, downloading the included source as a zip( eclipse-sourceBuild-srcIncluded-2.1.2.zip), and downloading the build scripts (eclipse-sourceBuild-srcFetch-2.1.2.zip) which get the source from the cvs site, with the same result.

Originally I thought I had done something wrong but after a few times I am thinking either the build is like that or I am missing some piece of info. I have followed the steps in the site to the letter several times with the same result. ( http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1.2-2003110 30802/srcIncludedBuildInstructions.html and http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1.2-2003110 30802/srcFetchBuildInstructions.html)

I have tried building from eclipse and out of eclipse using the console command build -os win32 -ws win32 -install c:\dev\eclipse

I am using the SUN's j2sdk 1.4.1, ant 1.4, and CVS 1.11.1.3 on windows 2k.

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Rene Muniz
Previous Topic:Wizard Extension Id for Java Stuff ...
Next Topic:Local History
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 10 23:28:17 GMT 2024