Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Why New Project wizard checks if dirs overlap?!
Why New Project wizard checks if dirs overlap?! [message #142972] Fri, 08 April 2005 05:49 Go to next message
Neo is currently offline NeoFriend
My workspace is in d:\edward\eclipse.

I have created 2 projects under d:\edward\c++\mingw (pub, test), now I am
creating a 3rd project. However, no matter what I type in the Project name,
the Wizard insists ' D:/Edward/C++/mingw and D:/Edward/C++/mingw/pub
overlap.'

What the hell does the new project have anything to do with other folder?
Re: Why New Project wizard checks if dirs overlap?! [message #143284 is a reply to message #142972] Thu, 14 April 2005 10:27 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dsusa.cestel.es

Neo wrote:
> My workspace is in d:\edward\eclipse.
>
> I have created 2 projects under d:\edward\c++\mingw (pub, test), now I am
> creating a 3rd project. However, no matter what I type in the Project name,
> the Wizard insists ' D:/Edward/C++/mingw and D:/Edward/C++/mingw/pub
> overlap.'
>
> What the hell does the new project have anything to do with other folder?
>
>

Hi Neo & all:
That's exactly the same question I have...
I'm trying to adopt Eclipse in my C++ "makefile driven" project (Windows+Linux), and I'm kind of puzzled ...
I have a very "common" project structure: where you have a "main" executable with all its sources, and its makefile in a folder, its produced binaries in a "brother" folder, and many subfolders with the "sub-projects" (extensions, plugins or whatever). Each subproject having its own sources and makefile together in its own folder:
Let me "draw" it:

/projectRoot/
/bin/
/plugins/Plugin1.dll
/plugins/Plugin2.dll
/MainPrj.exe
/obj/ ... idem /bin
/src/
/MainPrjSrc1.cpp
/MainPrj_Makefile
/plugins/
/Plugin1/
/Plugin1/Plg1.cpp
/Plugin1/Plg1_Makefile
/Plugin2/
/Plugin2/Plg2.cpp
/Plugin2/Plg2_Makefile

....and so on

I've "digged down" 5 or 6 different bug reports concerning the so called: "Inflexible Project Structure" problem. I've also browsed a 3 documents series ("Towards more flexible Project Structure") where the problem is deeply analyzed and many solutions are evaluated.
All I can understand is that the "nature" of Eclipse projects is: "single-rooted" and "non overlaping", and that's all.... folks ! :-)

As far as I reach, those bugs and documents dated from august/september 2002, and all of them stated "RESOLVED"... so I guessed that "some" solution might be included in the "recent" releases (Platform 3.0.2 & CDT 2.1.1)...
but projects still can't overlap... as we noticed at the Wizard you mentioned. And, besides, you can't "debug" a binary that is "outside" the project's source tree ... at least I couldn't debug the MainPrj.exe that I plotted above. It didn't work when I placed the "Eclipse" Project files in the "src" folder (like the MainPrj_Makefile), and it didn't work neither, when I placed the Eclipse project at the top-level "projectRoot" folder.

One thing makes me think I'm "missing" something. The "nested project" or "nested makefiles" build structure is very common in a lot of legacy C++ projects... so what do those projects do to adopt Eclipse ? do they split all their sub-projects in "single-rooted" and "non overlaping" smaller projects (which leds to a tremendous amount of work adjusting paths inside every single makefile) ? or there is any other alternative ?

Any kind of help or "hint" will be much appreciated. I'm sure that many C++ developers had faced this problem in their early Eclipse times :-)

Thanks in advance...

Diego Susa
CENTRO ESPAÑOL DE SERVICIOS TELEMÁTICOS S.A.
www.cestel.es
Previous Topic:processType for C/C++ Local Application launch config
Next Topic:I tried to compile GTK source
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 16:54:37 GMT 2024