Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Unloading classes when app running
Unloading classes when app running [message #55744] Fri, 30 May 2003 10:47 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: pdrolet.mac.com

Posted with an Unregistered Version of NewsHunter - The Newsgroup Utility for OS X.
Get your copy today at: http://www.parkersoftware.com/products/newshunter/

Hi,

The time it takes for a development cycle is critical for a developer. Even though Eclipse is not bad compared to other development environment, I am looking at ways to improve it.

Here is the problem: I use a prevayler database in a plugin. The database is about 6 megs (I cannot really make it simpler - I need the data to test the plugin). Each time I want to test a new function or a modified code, this data need to be reloaded (I use "run-time workbench" using another eclipse directory - only the platform's plugins).

I read somewhere that it is possible to unload and reload a class or a library in real time. Is it possible to do it with Eclipse in a run-time workbench?

Patrice Drolet
Re: Unloading classes when app running [message #57430 is a reply to message #55744] Sat, 31 May 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: genadyb.inter.net.il

If you use JDK 1.4.1 in Debug mode, you can make simple code
modifications, save (recompile) the class and it will be reflected in
the running code.

Limitations: No new methods, no method signature changes, no class
hierarchy changes.
Adding new (not inner) classes is OK.

Genady

Patrice Drolet wrote:

> Posted with an Unregistered Version of NewsHunter - The Newsgroup Utility for OS X.
> Get your copy today at: http://www.parkersoftware.com/products/newshunter/
>
> Hi,
>
> The time it takes for a development cycle is critical for a developer. Even though Eclipse is not bad compared to other development environment, I am looking at ways to improve it.
>
> Here is the problem: I use a prevayler database in a plugin. The database is about 6 megs (I cannot really make it simpler - I need the data to test the plugin). Each time I want to test a new function or a modified code, this data need to be reloaded (I use "run-time workbench" using another eclipse directory - only the platform's plugins).
>
> I read somewhere that it is possible to unload and reload a class or a library in real time. Is it possible to do it with Eclipse in a run-time workbench?
>
> Patrice Drolet
Re: Unloading classes when app running [message #57480 is a reply to message #57430] Sat, 31 May 2003 11:49 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: pdrolet.mac.com

I did not know that. Running in the debogger is a bit slower, but this
is REALLY great. Thanks so much!

Patrice Drolet
Previous Topic:GUI
Next Topic:[ANN] CVS SSL Plugin: Secure connection to CVSNT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 20:46:39 GMT 2024