Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » How does one become a good PHP developer?
How does one become a good PHP developer? [message #1855554] Thu, 20 October 2022 10:13
jileini mini is currently offline jileini miniFriend
I'm at the point in my career where I would like to progress but looking at positions in my local area, I am missing some key skills. I am a self taught PHP developer with around 4 years experience working with design agencies. I've picked up some bad habits and learnt from some bad resources e.g. W3Schools etc.

I don't enjoy working in the agency environment anymore - no tests, copy and pasting code, poor quality and a rush to get code out the door. I'd love to work for some sort of SaaS company or a company that uses PHP for their main products and internal tooling. It would be amazing to have the freedom to work on new ideas and features without a deadline looming and constant pressure from clients, managers and whoever wants to stick their nose in!

I learn a lot of stuff outside of work during weekends and evenings but without having the backup of a good mentor then I don't know if I'm doing it right or what. I'm trying to focus on new things and get a solid foundation, here are a few things I'm trying to learn:

Composer

PHP 7+

Symfony

Design patterns

Caching (Redis and Memcached)

I feel like I'm stuck at the moment. I try and learn new technologies but don't know if I'm doing it correctly. I'd like to create some new projects to show off to potential employers but I don't know what would look good!

If you were in a similar position to me then what did you do? What do you feel is the best way for me to get into a better PHP developer position? In the future I'd like to move into mentoring and a lead development role but I know that wont be for a very long time! I'm just trying to create a career roadmap really.

I don't have a degree and it's something I have considered to help me, what do you think?

I really appreciate any feedback and advice! Thank you!
Previous Topic:Error to Choose the type of server to create
Next Topic:LAMP and XDebug/Eclipse-PDT on the same machine.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 05:18:49 GMT 2024