Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) » Jakarta EE and javax.servlet(Jakarta EE project still needs javax.servlet package)
Jakarta EE and javax.servlet [message #1837804] Sun, 07 February 2021 11:01 Go to next message
Raffaele Tripodo is currently offline Raffaele TripodoFriend
Hello,
I'm testing Jakarta EE, so I installed Tomcat 10, set an Apache Tomcat 10 server instance in my Eclipse IDE and created a new Dynamic Web Project assigning the Tomcat 10 runtime.

Everything works fine and JSPs are translated in Jakarta Servlets but Eclipse IDE still reports an annoying error "The superclass "javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet" was not found on the Java Build Path".

It's just an annoying warning because JSP file works fine, but in a project with many files it could be very frustrating.
I could "solve" the problem adding a servlet-api.jar from Tomcat 9 in order to have the javax package in the build path, but I think it could be better if Eclipse didn't search for the wrong package.

Can you please help me understand if I'm making some mistakes or if it's a real bug?

Thanks

Raffaele Tripodo

Raffaele Tripodo
Re: Jakarta EE and javax.servlet [message #1837807 is a reply to message #1837804] Sun, 07 February 2021 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Neither, it's something that wasn't implemented for 3.20 but should just work in 3.21 as part of
https://bugs.eclipse.org/565328 . The "developer" builds at
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2021-03/m2 contain the supertype
handling and other variable type changes. The interaction with tag libraries is still a work in
progress--there are a lot of questions about how to cleanly interact with classic tag handlers
when dealing with the differing package names and no runtime translation like you could expect
from the server.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Mon, 08 February 2021 02:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Jakarta EE and javax.servlet [message #1837813 is a reply to message #1837807] Mon, 08 February 2021 07:02 Go to previous message
Raffaele Tripodo is currently offline Raffaele TripodoFriend
Many thanks for clarifying.
So it's just a matter of time. I'll be waiting for the new releases and keep an eye on this feature.

Thank you

Raffaele Tripodo
Previous Topic:Delete Inactive Version ?
Next Topic:IJavaScriptUnit for plugin development
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 07:27:07 GMT 2024