Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Debugging PHP with Eclipse 2019-03(How do I invoke XDebug in Eclipse?)
Debugging PHP with Eclipse 2019-03 [message #1807673] Thu, 06 June 2019 01:46
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
I'm fairly new to PHP but I've been using Eclipse for years. I have PDT installed on the current Eclipse, 2019-03, but I can't figure out how to set up XDebug to work with my PHP code. All the tutorials and blog posts I've been able to find are several years old and the screens in Eclipse seem to have changed substantially from what is shown in the tutorials, videos, etc.

Can someone point me to instructions on setting up XDebug where the Eclipse screens have a close resemblance to what I see in my current version of Eclipse?

Also, I need one fundamental question answered first. My code is running on a server at a free hosting service. Can I debug it there or do I first need to clone it locally in something like XAMPP and debug it there? I can't find an answer to THAT question either.

One other thing. I know PHP has two popular debuggers, XDebug and Zend. What is the difference and why do all the articles I've seen seem to refer to XDebug and not to Zend? Is Zend not as good or harder to use or something?

I should mention that I've used a number of debuggers over the years and am not worried about *using* the debugger; I just need to get it set up so that it can be invoked from Eclipse so I can step through my code and look for anomalies.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 June 2019 12:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:braces allways on starting next line
Next Topic:xdebug starts automatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 07:05:41 GMT 2024