Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) » Default File Association Not Working for .html Files(Default is Set to HTML Editor but .html Documents Opening in Chrome)
Default File Association Not Working for .html Files [message #1769903] Fri, 04 August 2017 22:20 Go to next message
Dan Allen is currently offline Dan AllenFriend
I have failed to open .html files with anything except browser since running Chrome from the command line earlier today.

With the default file association for .html files set to the html editor,
index.php/fa/30280/0/

opening html files with double click or right-click=>open causes the file to open in Chrome browser. Maybe this is because I ran Chrome from the command line today, I don't know, except this is a big pain.

It looks as though the set default option is having no effect, because it is stuck on browser in the open-with menu:
index.php/fa/30282/0/

Right-click=>open with=> works, but it is a pain in the butt. Double click is what we need where I live.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Is there a way to reset Eclipse setting to all the defaults on a new installation.?
Re: Default File Association Not Working for .html Files [message #1769904 is a reply to message #1769903] Fri, 04 August 2017 22:34 Go to previous message
Dan Allen is currently offline Dan AllenFriend
For kicks, I changed the default app for opening .html files on my osx workstation. The default app was chrome. I switched it to text-edit.

Eclipse still indicates the default for opening .html files is the html editor, but the right-click on an html file still shows web browser with a check mark, but when now double clicking on an html file in Eclipse opens the file in text edit.

Basically, osx is overriding Eclipse's settings for file associations.

So I am getting around the problem by setting the file association in osx to open html in eclipse.

It that how it is supposed to work?

[Updated on: Fri, 04 August 2017 22:36]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Source XML editor in 3.9 on Oxygen?
Next Topic:Oxygen content assist JSP, manual
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 04:55:38 GMT 2024