This project proposal is in the
Proposal Phase and is posted here to solicit additional project
participation and ways the project can be leveraged from the Eclipse
membership-at-large. You are invited to comment on and/or
join the project. Please send all feedback to the
newsgroup or the the
Project Management Principles
While this project is open to any contributor like any other open source projects (see the Contributing to the WTP Project document), the organizations listed below have expressed interest in participating in the Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project. This proposal reflects the information provided by those organizations.
We very welcome new participants! Organizations who would like to get officially involved may contact us at wtp-proposal AT eclipse.org
| Expertise|| Code contribution*|
|BULL||Jerome Camilleri||NO||YES||NO||JOnAS,JOPE||not planned|
|YES||YES||YES||Lomboz||see ObjectWeb proposal|
|YES||YES||NO||Struts Studio||not planned|
|Genuitec||Todd Wiliams||YES||YES||YES||MyEclipse||not planned|
Der Ping Chou
|YES||YES||YES||WSAD||see IBM proposal|
|Librados||Vince Eagen||NO||YES||NO||J2EE/JCA||not planned|
|OpenWide||Fabrice Dewasmes||NO||YES||NO||Workflow||not planned|
|THALES IS||Dominique De Vito||NO||NO||YES||ObjectWeb||n/a|
|Together Teamlosungen||?||NO||YES||NO||Enhydra||not planned|
|XQuark Group||Antoine Mensch||YES||NO||NO||XQuark||not planned|
* This code will be made available to the PMC under CPL license before the project kick-off meeting (see roadmap below). All code contributions will be screened for its usefulness with regard to the project goals and used as an initial code base where and when appropriate. Organizations and individuals who wish to make code contributions may contact wtp-proposal AT eclipse.org
An agile development approach will be reflected in roadmap creation and planning, similar to other Eclipse projects. In particular:
- The project planning process will be iterative and incremental; continual re-planning is expected as the project progresses.
- Product planning will be limited to one or more one-year periods resulting in completion of a major planned deliverable. Longer-term roadmaps, if provided, will be provided only to indicate long-term vision or ambition operative at that time.
- One-year deliverables will be broken down into multiple incremental milestones; each of will provide a tangible product deliverable or validation point.
- Feedback from community members and target end-users will be actively solicited in connection with each milestone delivery.
The roadmap illustrated below is provided for review and discussion in connection with project creation, and is not intended to be fixed or final.
- Declaration of interest
- The declaration of interest is intended to initiate open discussion of project ambition and scope, and the roadmap/plan for the first twelve months.
- Call for participation
- The declaration of interest period begins with publication of the project the proposal at eclipse.org. This triggers the start of a 30-day period giving the Eclipse membership-at-large an opportunity to comment on the project, as initially proposed, to become early project participants.
- Creation review
- Tentative date for creation review. The green light will be also given to the roadmap as approved and adopted up to this point.
- Validation phase
- During the Validation Phase, review of proposed designs, prototypes, code contributions will occur; critical use cases will be identified and project management/administration infrastructure will be created. The Validation Phase will result in initial plans for the overall project and identified sub-projects. Upon acceptance of these plans, the Implementation Phase will begin, with progress begun against the first project milestones.
- Milestone 1
- This will focus on server tooling and 'project development layout' components.
- Each subsequent milestone corresponds to an integration phase, and can be seen as a project status checkpoint. Milestones require resolution of dependencies on other subprojects or sub-systems. Key status reports and documentation relevant to the milestone will be made available to the membership-at-large, enabling transparency in evaluating progress against the roadmap.
Project Plans & Project Status
Project status reports & updated project plans will be made available on a regular
basis following project creation.