Project Plan For Eclipse Communication Framework, version 3.6
Previously, ECF has had three major releases: ECF 1.0.0 as part of Europa Simultaneous Release, ECF 2.0.0 as part of Ganymede Simultaneous Release, ECF 3.0.0 as part of Galileo Simultaneous Release, and ECF 3.3.0 as part of Helios Simultaneous Release. This plan describes the work for ECF 3.6, which will occur in June, 2011 as part of the Indigo Simultaneous Release.
The major ECF 3.6 release deliverables are as follows:
- Fully implement OSGi 4.2 Remote Services Admin standard (chapter 122 in OSGi enterprise specification)
- Use (and extend) Google Wave provider to implement a multiplayer game
- Extend DNSSD discovery provider
- Introduce XML-RPC-based remote services provider
- Introduce SIP provider and improve/update/extend the ECF call API (VOIP/telephony)
- Improve and Extend the ECF Example Applications, with special emphasis on OSGi remote services and remote service admin examples
- Enable easier creation and use of Equinox+ECF remote services-based Server Runtimes
ECF 3.6 API Freeze
ECF 3.6 Feature Freeze
Indigo GA/ECF 3.6
- Eclipse-based Applications
- Eclipse RCP
- Other Equinox-Based Runtimes (e.g. Equinox servers and CDC1.1/Foundation 1.1 environments)
ECF has a policy of maintaining API backward compatibility with minor and service releases. API is considered all exported packages (i.e. packages that do not have
x-internal:=truein their Export-Package declaration. As an example, with the following declaration in the org.eclipse.ecf MANIFEST.MF
Export-Package: org.eclipse.ecf.core, org.eclipse.ecf.internal.core;x-internal:=true
The org.eclipse.ecf.core package is API, and the org.eclipse.ecf.internal.core package is not
Only with major releases (e.g. 2.0.0, 3.0.0) are incompatible API changes to be introduced (e.g. refactorings, renames), and even then only after discussion among multiple committers. For the parts of ECF used by the Platform (e.g. the core and file transfer bundles), NO incompatible API changes will be introduced, even for major releases, in order to maintain the platform backward compatibility constraints.
Remote Services Standards
Implement Remote Services Admin specification (impl of OSGI Remote Services Admin spec).
- No items.
Add XML-RPC-based provider
Extend DNSSD provider
Add SIP provider
- [call][provider] Create ECF Call API provider based upon SIP  (target milestone: 3.6.0)