Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Process Manager (Stardust) » Newbie Frustration(Troubles with getting started )
Newbie Frustration [message #1515246] Thu, 18 December 2014 00:42 Go to next message
Anthony Lewis is currently offline Anthony LewisFriend
Disclaimer: I'm total newbie with eclipse/java, and of course Stardust, but do have coding and BPM experience elsewhere.

I have been going thru the first tutorial ( support-case ) and worked thru all the steps up to publishing, which is where things break down for me.

By searching thru the logs that i can find ( again, i'm still learning this new environment.. ), it seems that the last thing it tries to do is connect to the audit database, which it cant then it all falls apart from that point.

I even tried creating a 2nd database ( called it AuditTrail ) instead of the name in the sample. The folder is created in the project tree, without errors.

The first error i get is : Unable to find [AuditTrail.DataSource]

I started with windows 7/64bit, but I also tried it on CentOS Linux, using the same version of sun-java ( most current 7u71/72 ) Just to be sure it wasn't my windows install. Also used the same version of eclipse ( Luna ) and tomcat ( 7.0.47 ) to make it a fair comparison.

Being desperate, i did copy all the derby* jars i could find, and put them in the tomcat/lib directory, even tho it wasn't mentioned in the tutorial.. This fixed another wired data access problem i had with a totally different product once, so figured it was worth a try.

I also noticed that while under Linux, some widgets in eclipse wont render properly, not sure if this is just part of the eclipse world or not, but i am sure its unrelated to my issue here.
Re: Newbie Frustration [message #1516437 is a reply to message #1515246] Thu, 18 December 2014 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa Ferenal is currently offline Melissa FerenalFriend
Hi,

Please see this post on how to build stardust using maven archetype. Maybe this will help.

You can also try the web modeller but take note on the differences between the web modeller and eclipse modeller.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 December 2014 22:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Newbie Frustration [message #1516510 is a reply to message #1516437] Thu, 18 December 2014 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will check out the maven stuff.. I did see that but, i just thought that i would be able to do the demo without doing anything fancy. ( that will take a bit since i'm still learning and was sure id screw it up )

For what its worth, i did create another test project with a blank model, thinking that i would "try the web modeler instead, its the future anyway" but that wouldn't publish either, with the same sort of error on the audit database. I tried publishing without a blank model, and it refused due to that, thus the blank model.

Tks ....
Re: Newbie Frustration [message #1518066 is a reply to message #1516510] Fri, 19 December 2014 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i think i got it.. I reset everything back to square one and went thru things step by step, and scoured the logs again.

Seems that publishing does NOT create the file carnot-audittrail.properties so the database connection failed ( which i was seeing.. ) and it all dies. Creating a blank file in tomcat/config so it can write to it on start-up fixed things.. yay. I dont know if i missed a step somewhere, or didnt see where it said to do that in the documentation..

( i also had to copy over all the derby* jars to tomcat/lib i would have thought that unnecessary, but i needed to do it. )
Re: Newbie Frustration [message #1572608 is a reply to message #1518066] Mon, 19 January 2015 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Emsbach is currently offline Robert EmsbachFriend

Hi Anthony,

sorry for the late reply. How did this develop? Did you end up with a satisfying result? What are you building?
Indeed copying jar's into the tomcat lib would/should not be necessary. It looks to me like the thread that configures the DB or the publishing got interrupted somehow. If these tasks complete regularly then there would be no issues with the DB.

Best regards

Rob

Re: Newbie Frustration [message #1584324 is a reply to message #1572608] Sun, 25 January 2015 18:11 Go to previous message
Right now i am still learning, so no specific build. i did notice that after starting another project to try other things at the office the jars did NOT need to be copied, so must have been a fluke
Previous Topic:Using custom skin for login screen
Next Topic:IPP Artifactory and Create Maven Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 16:32:38 GMT 2024