Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » OCL » Unable to install OCL 6.19 Tests in 2023-12
Unable to install OCL 6.19 Tests in 2023-12 [message #1862559] Mon, 11 December 2023 21:19 Go to next message
Steve Hickman is currently offline Steve HickmanFriend
I have installed Eclipse 2023-12 with OCL 6.19 and a few other packages (see attached screenshots).

I am unable to install the OCL Tests that are part of OCL 6.19. The failure appears to be due to a requirement for an older version of hamcrest and bcpg/bcprov.

The last screenshot shows the current version of hamcrest I have installed. I have version 1.77 (vs. 1.72) of bcpg/bcprov installed (couldn't attach a 6th screenshot).

I don't know how much this matters (if at all). I stumbled across this trying to figure out how to debug the ValidityView issue mentioned in a separate post.

This is just a report of an out of date version requirement.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 December 2023 21:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to install OCL 6.19 Tests in 2023-12 [message #1862583 is a reply to message #1862559] Tue, 12 December 2023 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Oh joy. Yet another infrastructure incompatibility... but perhaps not. The Eclipse SimRel was introduced to avoid this kind of mix-and-match nightmare between the competing versions of different layers.

When installing a major Eclipse project you should ideally use only the SimRel repo e.g. https://download.eclipse.org/releases/2023-12

To get extra stuff use the corresponding project ZIP e.g. mdt-ocl-Update-6.19.0.zip for the OCL tests not available from the SimRel repo.

You have a large number of repos including at least two different Orbits; the source of hamcrest and bouncycastle. You therefore give the Eclipse installer many opportunities to select alternative versions. When there are alternatives, my experience is that what the installer considers best may not actually be possible. I suspect this is what has happened for you. The straightforward narrow OCL tests install works for me on 2023-12.

If you use a 'latest' repo other than 'releases/latest' you declare that you are a developer competent to resolve version incompatiblities that may arise, particularly at the bleeding edge where incompatibilities may have only just arisen and are waiting on the first victim (you) to diagnose and report.

If you had cut and paste the full 'incompatibility' report the problem would be more obvious. It will show who wants the version that is not available in any of the Orbits you have provided.

In general, screenshots may be pretty but are very rarely a good way to report. Good old text supports search / cut / paste.

Re: Unable to install OCL 6.19 Tests in 2023-12 [message #1862593 is a reply to message #1862583] Tue, 12 December 2023 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like the implication is your description of how to install is: Don't use the Eclipse Marketplace. Because that's what I did and, except for the XText2Langium update site, that's where all those came from. I'll definitely rely on your wise words going forward.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 December 2023 23:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to install OCL 6.19 Tests in 2023-12 [message #1862612 is a reply to message #1862593] Thu, 14 December 2023 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
I don't understand the Eclipse Marketplace. I failed to register good versions of OCL and the Bugzilla remains unresolved. It auto-registers what might be good. It ought to offer a redirect back to SimRel rather than offering a defective rival.
There is a new facility for auto-installing missing editors/natures; this gives some really crazy suggestions.

But if it's messing users up, it needs fixing. https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=582738 raised.

If you can add your exact command/keystroke sequence that would help.
Re: Unable to install OCL 6.19 Tests in 2023-12 [message #1862748 is a reply to message #1862612] Tue, 26 December 2023 16:54 Go to previous message
My initial attempts to reproduce this lead me to rescind my initial claim. If I can reproduce this using the Eclipse Marketplace, I'll update the bug.
Previous Topic:OCL syntax on association ends
Next Topic:LSP / Web based version of ValidityView
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 13:33:53 GMT 2024