Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » SimplePrincipal with a specified user name not working as expected after login(Confusion with the use of a SimplePrincipal with a username at login)
SimplePrincipal with a specified user name not working as expected after login [message #1862343] Mon, 27 November 2023 13:28 Go to next message
J D is currently offline J DFriend
Hi there everyone,

The RestCredentialVerifier.java class in my application uses a Subject with a defined SimplePrincipal string. I've seen the same code in some examples on this forum.

subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal("system"));
    subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal("access-check-user"));
    subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal("user"));

All three variations above work, but it does not seem right to me because it means ALL logged-in users have the same SimplePrincipal profile (I may be wrong here, I'm still trying to figure it all out).

So I decided to replace the variations above with the following:

subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal(username));

However, after logging in successfully, my Desktop is blank (see attached screenshot).

The code in my RestCredentialVerifier.java class is as follows:

public class RestCredentialVerifier implements ICustomCredentialVerifier {
  private static final Logger LOG = LoggerFactory.getLogger(RestCredentialVerifier.class);

Map<String, String> mapResult = new HashMap<>();

@Override
  public int verify(String username, char[] passwordPlainText) throws IOException {

Subject subject = new Subject();
    // Any ONE OF THESE WORK!
    // subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal("system"));
    // subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal("access-check-user"));
    // subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal("user"));

// This DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY!
    subject.getPrincipals().add(new SimplePrincipal(username));

subject.setReadOnly();

RunContext runContext =
        RunContexts.copyCurrent(true).withSubject(subject);

// Send the authentication details to the database for verification
    int result = runContext.call(new Callable<Integer>() {
      @Override
      public Integer call() throws Exception {

Map<String, String> mapResult = BEANS.get(IRestAuthenticationService.class)
            .verify(lowerCaseUsername(username), createHashedPassword(passwordPlainText).toString());
        boolean IsAuthenticatedUser =
            mapResult.get("message").equals(TEXTS.get("YouAreNowConnectedToTheServer").trim());
        return IsAuthenticatedUser ? AUTH_OK : AUTH_FAILED;
      }
    });

return result;
  }

}

My use case is a bit similar to https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1841325/?srch=SimplePrincipal except that I'm not using tokens.

Can anyone please help me resolve this problem?

Cheers,

JD
  • Attachment: Blank UI.png
    (Size: 16.19KB, Downloaded 28 times)
Re: SimplePrincipal with a specified user name not working as expected after login [message #1862723 is a reply to message #1862343] Fri, 22 December 2023 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beat Schwarzentrub is currently offline Beat SchwarzentrubFriend
Yes, if there are different users, each one should have a different principal. The subject is used to identify the user and create corresponding scout sessions (ClientSession, ServerSession). The access control service will load the permissions belonging to that particular user. When loading the session, the information can be used to retrieve more user-specific data from the database.

An empty desktop indicates that you have successfully passed the authentication layer (i.e. you are "logged in"), but there are no outlines to display. This is most likely caused by missing permissions. You should check the implementation of your access controller and the logic in execLoad() of your session classes. Also have a look at the log files and the browser console (F12), maybe there is some warning or error message that can help you further.

Beat
Re: SimplePrincipal with a specified user name not working as expected after login [message #1862927 is a reply to message #1862723] Sun, 07 January 2024 12:27 Go to previous message
J D is currently offline J DFriend
Hi there Beat,

Thanks for your reply. The festive period meant that I did not have enough user data to observe for comparison purposes. I'm waiting for more data before I can send a proper reply.

I would however love to read a tutorial or more detailed documentation about this topic, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JD
Previous Topic:Timezones
Next Topic:Display dynamic title instead of first displayed column in the tree for AbstractPageWithNodes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 23:49:12 GMT 2024