Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Eclipse Installer MacOS: Launch automatically did not work
Eclipse Installer MacOS: Launch automatically did not work [message #1862322] Sat, 25 November 2023 11:11 Go to next message
Frank Becker is currently offline Frank BeckerFriend
Hi,

with macOS 14.1.1 and the latest Eclipse Installer Version 1.31.1 Build 5840 the new Eclipse version did not start even when I check "Launch automatically".

Where can I find some more Information?
I can manually start the new Installation using the Finder with no errors.

Regards
Frank
Re: Eclipse Installer MacOS: Launch automatically did not work [message #1862323 is a reply to message #1862322] Sat, 25 November 2023 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Gosh. It's so hard to deal with the Mac. It's hard to get a virtual machine running and the one I have is very old.

If you use the setup

https://github.com/eclipse-oomph/oomph/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

you can debug launch the installer. Launchers are provided. I use options like this for debug purposes:
-Duser.home=D:/Users/test31
-Doomph.setup.user.home.redirect=true
This installs into what looks like a brand new user home folder and the second option tells it to generate the firs t-D option into the eclipse.ini of the installation. This way you can completely delete the "test31" folder to not pollute your machine. Pick a really small product like Platform for testing...

Setting a breakpoint in org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.wizards.ProgressPage.launchProduct(SetupTaskPerformer) will let you see how the product is being launched. In the end, it create a "command" that is launched by org.eclipse.oomph.util.OS.execute(List<String>, boolean) which is not system-specific. The release is next Wednesday, so if there is a problem that you could help with fixing it would be really much appreciated.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Installer MacOS: Launch automatically did not work [message #1862324 is a reply to message #1862323] Sat, 25 November 2023 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Becker is currently offline Frank BeckerFriend
Hi Ed,

I have found a workaround!
When I add the red bold line in the execute Method the new Eclipse Instance starts normal.

public Process execute(List<String> command, boolean terminal) throws Exception
{
ProcessBuilder processBuilder = new ProcessBuilder(command);
try
{
Map<String, String> environment = processBuilder.environment();
environment.remove("SWT_GTK3"); //$NON-NLS-1$
}
catch (UnsupportedOperationException ex)
{
// Ignore.
}

Process process = processBuilder.start();
process.getInputStream().close();
process.getOutputStream().close();
TimeUnit.SECONDS.sleep(1);
process.getErrorStream().close();
return process;
}

Should I create a Issue in GitHub?

Regards
Frank
Re: Eclipse Installer MacOS: Launch automatically did not work [message #1862331 is a reply to message #1862324] Sun, 26 November 2023 06:54 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, please create an issue to better track this change. Clearly this is dark magic. It literally has to be at that location, and not say, right after the start call? Or maybe that's the last possible place to put it because something wants to write to this stream, does so early, but fails when it's closed early.

Thanks for your testing effort!!!

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Proxy Athentification Problem
Next Topic:How to create empty workspace in configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 20:51:29 GMT 2024