Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » A BIG thank you to the Eclipse Scout team(Gracias, Merci, Danke, Graz i)
A BIG thank you to the Eclipse Scout team [message #1859971] Fri, 07 July 2023 10:33 Go to next message
J D is currently offline J DFriend
Hi there everyone,

I would just like to use this opportunity to thank the Eclipse Scout team for the Eclipse Scout framework. I am actually surprised that it is not more widely known in the Java development community when compared to other frameworks like Vaadin, Jmix and the gold standard in enterprise Java, the Spring framework.

Being a novice in Java EE, I was looking for something to help me move an application to the Web. Initially the small Scout community, the slow response to questions on the forum and its overall popularity (YouTube videos are outdated) dissuaded me, but because I use the Eclipse IDE, I decided to give it a try. The learning curve was not easy (I had to unlearn certain things and spend a lot of time on Google sifting through outdated material) but I persevered.

The main attraction for me is the Scout table widget. I absolutely love it. I've discovered that it is a powerful tool, and with the built-in filters and moving of columns adjacent to each other, I'm able to filter information rapidly and visually that I previously had to write special SQL queries for. It makes the code leaner and easier to read and maintain. It has really saved me a ton of work.

A special mention also goes to the smart fields widget and the real-time loading of information from the backend server. I'm finally able to get rid of the boilerplate code that I was using to do this and just let the smart fields do their work.

Finally, the integration of the ChartJS based Scout Charts is very welcome for a JavaScript novice like me. ;o)

So please keep up the good work. Your efforts are well and truly appreciated.

Cheers,

JD

[Updated on: Sun, 13 August 2023 06:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A BIG thank you to the Eclipse Scout team [message #1860040 is a reply to message #1859971] Thu, 13 July 2023 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claudio Guglielmo is currently offline Claudio GuglielmoFriend
Thank you very much, we really appreciate it! Would you mind telling us how you find out about Eclipse Scout?
Outdated material is definitive an issue. Maybe we sould delete the YouTube videos and other outdated content or at least mark them as archived.
Re: A BIG thank you to the Eclipse Scout team [message #1860079 is a reply to message #1859971] Sun, 16 July 2023 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there Claudio,

I got to know about Eclipse Scout simply by using Google. I was searching for Java GUI solutions, and that was back when Scout was in version 6. Eventually, I went down the JavaFX route but kept a distant eye on the Scout project over the years. I started playing with Scout when version 11 was released and adopted it completely with the release of version 22.

I believe the old YouTube videos should be removed or at least marked as outdated and new videos showcasing Scout's evolution should be uploaded.

Finally, practically all the detailed documentation concerning permissions, authorization and authentication is obsolete. Some of us had to wade through articles and tutorials dating back to Scout 3.7 while trying to make sense of it all. I know there is some fairly recent information on this forum, but it is also outdated. It would be nice if more recent documentation on those topics was added to the technical guide,

Cheers,

JD

[Updated on: Sun, 13 August 2023 06:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A BIG thank you to the Eclipse Scout team [message #1860261 is a reply to message #1860079] Tue, 25 July 2023 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Robot is currently offline Mr RobotFriend
I would also like to thank Scout team for providing this amazing framework.

BSI gave Eclipse Scout to community, maybe we can thank them by updating documentation from our knowledge?

Re: A BIG thank you to the Eclipse Scout team [message #1860350 is a reply to message #1860261] Mon, 31 July 2023 17:45 Go to previous message
I totally agree. That would be a way to give something back to the community.

JD
Previous Topic:Is table row height configurable?
Next Topic:Tutorial directions give error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 23:15:52 GMT 2024