Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » cdo_commit_infos table cleanup
cdo_commit_infos table cleanup [message #1859709] Fri, 23 June 2023 04:55 Go to next message
I S is currently offline I SFriend
Hi,

I have a cdo_commit_infos table which is too big, it has about 40 000 000 records. When I start my application, I see the following query in psql which is executing for a few minutes:
SELECT commit_time, branch_id, user_id, comment FROM cdo_commit_infos;

I have two questions:
1. What is the purpose of the cdo_commit_infos table?
2. Can I clean up the table using
delete from cdo_commit_infos where user_id is null;

This query leaves a single record in the table which has "<initialize root resource>" comment and my application starts without delays but I'm not sure about long-term consequences of this.

The version of CDO I'm currently using is 3.0.1, at this moment I can't upgrade it to the latest one.
Also, I don't use any custom commit info handlers.

Thanks!

[Updated on: Fri, 23 June 2023 05:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: cdo_commit_infos table cleanup [message #1859710 is a reply to message #1859709] Fri, 23 June 2023 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
CDO 3.0.1 is 13 years old. I'm not sure how it will behave without this table or with an empty commit info table. Possible that this old CDO version does not even start without this table, or that it complains when you start using certain functions such as the History view or others.

In newer 4.x versions you can prevent this table from being created at server start by adding this to your cdo-server.xml:

<property name="commitInfoStorage" value="NO"/>

But even here it mostly depends on what functions of CDO you'll be using.

Re: cdo_commit_infos table cleanup [message #1859739 is a reply to message #1859710] Sat, 24 June 2023 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I S is currently offline I SFriend
Hi Eike, thanks for your reply.
Could you please shed the light on why CDO needs cdo_commit_infos table or point me out to a manual I can read. I found only this one https://help.eclipse.org/latest/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.emf.cdo.doc%2Fjavadoc%2Forg%2Feclipse%2Femf%2Fcdo%2Fcommon%2Fcommit%2FCDOCommitInfo.html , but it doesn't explain the exact meaning of the table.
Thanks!
Re: cdo_commit_infos table cleanup [message #1859741 is a reply to message #1859739] Sat, 24 June 2023 07:46 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
The table stores information about each commit: commit ID, branch ID, user ID, commit comment, and merge source branch point (optionally).

The infos are mostly needed when your application provides history access. It also speeds up crash recovery, but is not strictly needed for this purpose.

When you're not using your CDO server in auditing mode (i.e., without preserving historical revisions) it's probably safe to run without this table.

Previous Topic:Stereotype in ecore model
Next Topic:CDO Migrated to GitHub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 01:39:58 GMT 2024