Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Interplay of XML_MAP and XML_EXTENDED(Definition of behaviour)
Interplay of XML_MAP and XML_EXTENDED [message #1859165] Tue, 16 May 2023 23:20 Go to next message
Jörn Guy Süß is currently offline Jörn Guy SüßFriend

I am aware that there are two versions of the mapping mechanism for XML schema: the XML map and the XML extended meta-data.
I would like to know if there is a publicly available documentation of the behaviour of those two mechanisms and in particular the interplay between the two mechanisms if they are applied at the same time. For example I would like to know if the XML map replaces the settings of the extended meta-data or the other way around.
Re: Interplay of XML_MAP and XML_EXTENDED [message #1859168 is a reply to message #1859165] Wed, 17 May 2023 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The XML map stuff is much older and much less general. I don't expect the two to play nicely together and I'd expect anything new to use extended metadata instead.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Interplay of XML_MAP and XML_EXTENDED [message #1859198 is a reply to message #1859168] Thu, 18 May 2023 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Why is it still there, given that there has been a major revision in between?
Re: Interplay of XML_MAP and XML_EXTENDED [message #1859206 is a reply to message #1859198] Fri, 19 May 2023 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
To which major revision do you refer? There has only ever been a 2.x version at Eclipse. Also, the class has never been marked deprecated; that would be a start. But why force someone else to do work to change something that's been working for 20 years and is still working for them today?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Interplay of XML_MAP and XML_EXTENDED [message #1859207 is a reply to message #1859206] Fri, 19 May 2023 05:13 Go to previous message

I guess I misread the second digit.

From EMF - Eclipse Modeling Framework - Second Edition (Dave Steinberg,
Frank Budinsky, Marcelo Paternostro, Ed Merks) page 474, 15.3.3 Options

Quote:

OPTION_XML_MAP (XMLResource.XMLMap, Save/Load) This was the mechanism used to specify a mapping from Ecore to XML prior to EMF 2.0. Although still supported, this approach to tailoring XML serialization is no longer recommended. The more powerful OPTION_EXTENDED_META_DATA supersedes it.

I.e. this is 2.1 behaviour.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 May 2023 05:14]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:EMF forms with ComboBox
Next Topic:Diagnostician Validation only enforce unique Ids after saving the model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 01:18:34 GMT 2024