Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » APP4MC » What is APP4MC use case?(How APP4MC model can be used)
What is APP4MC use case? [message #1858936] Tue, 02 May 2023 13:15 Go to next message
Nike Khin is currently offline Nike KhinFriend
Creating an APP4MC model I would expect at least two benefits out of it:
- documenting and communicating SW/HW architecture
- make performance/timing/resource estimations

After playing around with versions 2.2.0 and 3.0.0 I couldn't find any useful menu action I could do with the model except transform it into SystemC project for simulation.

These transformations are very error prone for existing examples and simple custom models. Even if transformation succeeds, the sources are to be fixed to make them valid C++ compilable project.

Thus I concluded that APP4MC.sim is not a mainstream feature or not a important target for the modeling. Then what is the purpose of APP4MC models, how they can be used? E.g. is it possible to estimate WCET for a task or CPU load based on model?

NB: this is no criticism, just searching for an out from a deadend after some efforts spent to understand APP4MC.

Regards,
Nike
Re: What is APP4MC use case? [message #1859346 is a reply to message #1858936] Thu, 01 June 2023 14:05 Go to previous message
Harald Mackamul is currently offline Harald MackamulFriend
Sorry for the late reply.

The main purpose of APP4MC is to provide a consistent data model called AMALTHEA.
It can describe all inputs for a timing analysis and simulation.

Advantage of the open source format:
- can be used to exchange information (on an abstract level) between development partners
- is supported by some commercial tools for timing simulation
- has been used to bridge the gap between academic solutions and industrial challenges

The following ITEA publication describes a little bit of the infrastructure and environment:
https://itea4.org/project/result/download/7223/AMALTHEA%20and%20AMALTHEA4public%20Success%20story.pdf

Main use cases (from my point of view):
- create a model based on an existing embedded system (source code analysis is provided as open source)
- write own checks on model level (the platform provides fast access and manipulation of (large) real world models)
- generate "synthetic loads" that be executed on your target platform (available for ROS2 and Linux systems)
- perform a timing simulation (with commercial tools or the limited SystemC transformation)

We tried to provide a platform that can be extended easily. See examples to add user-defined actions, validations, visualizations.
A talk at EclipseCon 2021 shows parts of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7AxIg4oVlI&list=PLy7t4z5SYNaRXTpMGCTjbUtSwBnTtFa0U&index=77&pp=iAQB
Previous Topic:app4mc.sim
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 19:57:00 GMT 2024