Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Paho » Testing MQTT QoS 1 behavior with connection drop-out mid-publish?(The paho.mqtt.testing github code doesn't seem to test QoS 1 with a mid-publish connection drop-out)
Testing MQTT QoS 1 behavior with connection drop-out mid-publish? [message #1853105] Fri, 17 June 2022 22:13 Go to next message
Philip Schlesinger is currently offline Philip SchlesingerFriend
Hi all, I published the following question to the paho.mqtt.testing github repo -- and never heard a response, so trying here to see if someone here might know the answer to my question:

We are considering AWS IoT Core.

Our Quality department has asked for us to run a Operational Quality test between the MQTT client and AWS IoT MQTT broker so that we can document evidence of the following behavior:

IF
  QoS 1 is enabled for publishing from a MQTT client to a MQTT broker's topic
AND
  WHILE the MQTT client is publishing a message to that MQTT broker's topic
  IF the connection drops mid-publish
THEN
  The MQTT broker will not accept the partial message -- and thus the message won't be delivered to the topic
  AND
  The MQTT client will NOT receive a PUBACK

I looked through the code and the only thing I could find that was close to this was in the client_test.py file:

def test_redelivery_on_reconnect(self): 

...but that only tests if there is no connection to begin with.

In contrast, what I'm seeking is a way to demonstrate behavior:
IF
   The connection was there to begin with
AND THEN
  Mid-publish, the connection drops

Help?
Re: Testing MQTT QoS 1 behavior with connection drop-out mid-publish? [message #1853112 is a reply to message #1853105] Sat, 18 June 2022 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Craggs is currently offline Ian CraggsFriend
One way to do this, is to use a network proxy between the client and broker which will break the connection at the appropriate point. There is such a simple proxy in the testing repo and the C client repo (paho.mqtt.c) written in Python. It can be altered to cut the connection at the point you want.
Re: Testing MQTT QoS 1 behavior with connection drop-out mid-publish? [message #1853154 is a reply to message #1853112] Mon, 20 June 2022 23:29 Go to previous message
Philip Schlesinger is currently offline Philip SchlesingerFriend
Ian Craggs wrote on Sat, 18 June 2022 13:21
One way to do this, is to use a network proxy between the client and broker which will break the connection at the appropriate point. There is such a simple proxy in the testing repo and the C client repo (paho.mqtt.c) written in Python. It can be altered to cut the connection at the point you want.

Thank you!
Previous Topic:ConnectionRefusedError After Update
Next Topic:Paho MQTT Android Library Maintenance and bug fixes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 14:57:42 GMT 2024