Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » New to 4diuc - Distribute Application Across Different Architectures?( )
New to 4diuc - Distribute Application Across Different Architectures? [message #1851592] Sat, 09 April 2022 16:41 Go to next message
Loren Card is currently offline Loren CardFriend
Hi All,

I'm new to 4diac, working through the tutorial and having fun experimenting with software.

I have distributed a simple counter application across 3 instances of forte running on localhost. (Works great.)

I've compiled and run forte on two Asus Tinkerboard SBCs (similar to raspberry Pi, but have ARM-based RK3288 processors). I've managed to distributed a counter application across them too. (Works great.)

I've tried to distribute an application across forte instances running on the different architectures (Win32 and ARM), but I can't seem to get them to communicate.

I don't have an urgent need to make this work. I'm just curious about why my Win32 forte instances don't seem to like talking to the forte instances running on ARM.

Does anyone know why this should not work?

I've not Wiresharked anything to see what's going on. My guess is that this might work fine across architectures, and that I may be having trouble passing UDP multicast messaging between Linux and Win10.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

-Loren
Re: New to 4diuc - Distribute Application Across Different Architectures? [message #1851595 is a reply to message #1851592] Sat, 09 April 2022 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh wait. It looks like forte.exe is binding to localhost by default and not (0.0.0.0) all interfaces. Maybe that's my problem....
Re: New to 4diuc - Distribute Application Across Different Architectures? [message #1851596 is a reply to message #1851595] Sat, 09 April 2022 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it wasn't the binding on the control IP/Port. I have an app running with messaging going Win32 (Host A) -> Win32 (Host B) -> ARM (Host C). Not sure why some other configuration were not working...
Re: New to 4diuc - Distribute Application Across Different Architectures? [message #1851600 is a reply to message #1851596] Sun, 10 April 2022 17:55 Go to previous message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

I think some parts you figured out. In general this should work. For UDP ports we are binding only on the UDP multicast address. But nonetheless the network config can get quite tricky and nearly always when this is happening some network config needs to be adjusted.
Previous Topic:Porting to other RTOS
Next Topic:how can I use those default FBs correctly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 05:59:04 GMT 2024