Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Setting custom default Eclipse perspective
Setting custom default Eclipse perspective [message #1850508] Mon, 07 March 2022 07:17 Go to next message
Alon Ka is currently offline Alon KaFriend
I am trying to create my own customized perspective, and configure Eclipse to use it from the very first startup, using a project setup.
I tried to create a file using a ResourceCreationTask at <workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\org.eclipse.ui.workbench.prefs which has my own perspective's definition. This runs before the IDE starts, though apparently the perspective is not created then.
Do you have a recommendation on how to do this?
Re: Setting custom default Eclipse perspective [message #1850518 is a reply to message #1850508] Mon, 07 March 2022 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florent Latombe is currently offline Florent LatombeFriend
Did you try: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring#Open_default_perspective_already_upon_very_first_start

Florent Latombe - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Setting custom default Eclipse perspective [message #1850520 is a reply to message #1850518] Mon, 07 March 2022 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alon Ka is currently offline Alon KaFriend
Thanks for the quick reply, I am looking to configure Eclipse to start with my own custom perspective, and not with a pre-made one. I haven't figured out how to create my own perspective before the IDE starts (As I described, I tried to do so with the ResourceCreationTask). If I will be able to create it before the IDE starts, I'll be able to use the suggested tasks to start Eclipse with this perspective by default.
Re: Setting custom default Eclipse perspective [message #1850541 is a reply to message #1850520] Tue, 08 March 2022 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't know if there is a way to create your own perspective without implementing it via plugin's with plugin.xml registrations. Perhaps it's possible to customize an existing perspective, but I'm not sure how/where that's is stored. You'll need to investigate that...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Setting custom default Eclipse perspective [message #1850582 is a reply to message #1850541] Wed, 09 March 2022 01:33 Go to previous message
Joe Shannon is currently offline Joe ShannonFriend
We achieved this in the past by copying a pre-made workbench.xmi (which includes the custom perspective) into the workspace before starting the IDE. This was copied to ${workspace.location|uri}/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi with a ResourceCreationTask at BOOTSTRAP.

We have since dropped this in favour of using a default perspective as there can be changes in the persistence format between Eclipse versions and the cost of maintaining an up-to-date/valid workbench.xmi outweighed the benefits of the custom perspective. Somebody else also recommended to not rely on this file but I'm not sure what the other risks are specifically.
Previous Topic:Error: An internal error occurred during: "Exporting Eclipse Profile"
Next Topic:GitClone tasks and GitHub tokens
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 16:33:52 GMT 2024