Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Paho » full publish vs single(How to decide when to use full vs single publish)
full publish vs single [message #1849233] Sun, 09 January 2022 21:36
Clay Jackson is currently offline Clay JacksonFriend
I'm working code developed by a 3rd party that's using MQTT to move message from one weather application to another. It's a "full observation" (maybe 30 different data points), NOT individual name/value pairs.

The current code invoked the publish method, but did NOT implement ANY callbacks, and did NOT include QoS in the call to publish. It's sending 3 topics, at a rate of maybe 1 or 2 messages/minute.

After between 24 and 72 hours, messages just stopped appearing at the broker (mosquitto_sub stopped printing messages). Restarting the program "cleared" the issue. About 36 hours ago, I changed the code to invoke the "single message" and it seems to be working fine.

For a "Paho Newbie" this begs some questions:
1) As long as I don't care if I "miss a message" (or two), are there any other drawabacks to "single"?
2) Is there a breakpoint where the single connect/send disconnect (as opposed to a persistent connection?
3) Is there a timeout on connections - if it was to drop to one message every 5 minutes, would I need to worry about keepalive on either publisher or subscriber.?

Thanks in advance!
Previous Topic:Tuning linux client device to support more than 1024 client
Next Topic:Illegal reflective access by org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.FileLock went away in JDK 17?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 12:19:37 GMT 2024