Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Mac Compatibility issues with SWT and the recent patched versions of Java 8
Mac Compatibility issues with SWT and the recent patched versions of Java 8 [message #1843427] Thu, 29 July 2021 03:12 Go to next message
Jonathan Menzies is currently offline Jonathan MenziesFriend
Hey there,

One of my colleagues was recently forced to update to the 8_292 version of Java from AdoptOpenJDK or 8_301 from Oracle. As soon as he started up our application he ran into rendering issues and null pointers in the log from swt. This also seems to be prevalent when trying to run our app on the new BigSur iOS regardless of java version.

We are still using an older version of the swt cocoa jar.
org.eclipse.swt.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_3.108.0.v21080904-1901.jar

Evidently this is very likely the issue but I wanted to check and see if this is happening to anyone else and if anyone can let us know what version we should be using for compatibility with this ? And also if anyone knows what caused it, that would be really interesting to know

Cheers
Jonathan

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2021 03:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mac Compatibility issues with SWT and the recent patched versions of Java 8 [message #1848528 is a reply to message #1843427] Tue, 07 December 2021 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andy Maleh is currently offline Andy MalehFriend
I agree. I ran into issues in versions succeeding JDK8 241 with SWT 4.17.

Mainly, when I tried to center an image as a background for a composite, it showed up as tiled and repeated instead, which was a very odd thing. I have been meaning to report the issue for a while, but never got a chance to as I just defaulted to JDK8 241 to solve my issue.

EclipseCon / EclipseWorld / Agile Conference Speaker
Open-Source Software Author of Glimmer DSL for SWT

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2021 05:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mac Compatibility issues with SWT and the recent patched versions of Java 8 [message #1848655 is a reply to message #1843427] Sun, 12 December 2021 22:38 Go to previous message
Martin J is currently offline Martin JFriend
Java is changing constantly, deprecating many things! So SWT will be upgraded according to Java's change.

So best method is to Upgrade everything to newest version. Otherwise you may encounter problems.

Previous Topic:Use dynamic models to quickly develop SWT applications
Next Topic:Changes in look and feel following migration from GTK1 to GTK3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 04:21:04 GMT 2024