Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Possible Eclipse Bug??(Unable to access classes that are in my classpath)
Possible Eclipse Bug?? [message #1837482] Sun, 31 January 2021 15:41 Go to next message
Rob Tanner is currently offline Rob TannerFriend
Hi,

I'm a retired Java programmer trying to reinvigorate my Java chops. Prior to my retirement six years ago, I had been doing extensive web and web services programming in Java, using GlassFish and sometimes Tomcat on the backend. Now I'm doing some short term consulting and I need to write a REST client to manage data on a SalesForce instance. Since my current laptop was purchased post-retirement, Java was not installed on it, I went to the Oracle site and downloaded and installed Java v15.0.2. Also, since in my working days, I used the Eclipse IDE, I downloaded and installed the current version for the Eclipse Foundation website.

The Salesforce REST API documentation includes a sample Java class so I decided to start with that. I created a Java project and added the class. As it's dependent on a number of components in the org.apache.commons.httpclient package, I downloaded the jarfile and added it to the classpath in Eclipse. From the Package Explorer, I can see the jarfile under Reference Libraries. When I click on it, I can see the classifies required. Yet, according to the editor the classes in question are not accessible. This is obviously an Eclipse issue, but as I don't know what exactly it is, I don't know how to fix it. Whether or not it's germane to this issue or not, I do not know, I'm in a MacOS environment (I used to do all me development work on a linux workstation but that should be irrelevant). Also, the jarfile is dated from 2013. I don't know whether there are more recent versions but according to the MANIFEST, it was build using Java V1.5.0_09. Could that be part of the problem?

Thanks,
Rob
Re: Possible Eclipse Bug?? [message #1837484 is a reply to message #1837482] Sun, 31 January 2021 18:27 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
First, you'd likely be better off building this as a Maven project, as it's easier to specify dependencies. Eclipse integrates with Maven, so you just have to add the dependency to the pom.xml to get Eclipse to download and register the dependency.

Fixing your current project would require seeing more of it. You haven't shown the project, or shown us exactly what you did to add the dependency. Show more details and we might be able to see what you did wrong.
Previous Topic:Editor Repaint Stalls, Ubuntu 20.04 + KDE
Next Topic:Generic Editor - Read Only?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 16:57:40 GMT 2024