Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » Status of Texo(Is Texo still viable?)
Status of Texo [message #1834569] Thu, 12 November 2020 14:51 Go to next message
Geoffry Roberts is currently offline Geoffry RobertsFriend
Is Texo still a viable product?

I have an EMF project that could benefit from something like Texo, but before I take the plunge I'd like to be sure.

I notice it doesn't seem to have had any maintenance activity is several years.
Re: Status of Texo [message #1834590 is a reply to message #1834569] Fri, 13 November 2020 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I am afraid that your observations are sound and concerns well founded.

If you are able to live in a Neon Eclipse world, Texo may be viable, however the recent rapid churn of Java releases is causing considerable difficulties for many projects and so it is likely that Java/platform evolution will accidentally break Texo on current Eclipse releases.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Status of Texo [message #1834592 is a reply to message #1834590] Fri, 13 November 2020 09:41 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I had a quick look at whether it might be possible to provide life-support for Texo. Unfortunately examining the 10,000 errors revealed a few red flags.

It uses versions of javax.persistence and org.json that appear sadly neglected in Orbit. In the case of javax.persistence there is a major version deficiency.

It uses Jetty, which appears to be one of the major culprits in driving the platform to new versions of Java and breaking old versions.

If Texo is not already broken, it soon will be. It needs someone with some familiarity with client/server technologies to support it.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:Texo support for fluent methods?
Next Topic:[Edapt] replace attribute with existing abstract class
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 00:36:38 GMT 2024