Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Mosquitto » MODBUS to MQTT (Can MQTT broker send custom message (commands) back to publisher.)
MODBUS to MQTT [message #1830070] Thu, 16 July 2020 16:14
Anil Bhupathiraju is currently offline Anil BhupathirajuFriend
I am a newbie to MQTT so i guess thi s would sound like a silly question but here it goes.

I am implementing a MODBUS to MQTT (Publisher) which at frequent intervals transmitts the telemetry comming to Modbus. Here's how the flow looks

AC Cooler ----> Modbus ----> MQTT Publisher (PIC MCU) ---> Ethernet controller (TCP/IP) --> MQTT Broker.

while the above setup works fine, customer wants us to send commands back through the MQTT broker to my publisher which in turns parses a command back through modbus to AC Cooler to change parameters such as fan speed, alarms...etc. My MCU is perfectly capable of accepting commands through TCP layer but i am not sure if the underlying MQTT API would be able to send commands from broker to publisher. Well considering it is a messaging protocol and publisher being able broadcaste topic to multiple broker/client i am assuming the MQTT does not allow point to point messaging from broker to client.

Please correct me if i am wrong and if there is a way to work this back communication.

Regards
Anil Verma B
Previous Topic:Mosquitto and MODbus RTU Protocol
Next Topic:ESP8266 not able to connect local mosquitto broker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 22:33:49 GMT 2024