Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Can ~/.p2 be shared between Linux and Windows on the same computer?
Can ~/.p2 be shared between Linux and Windows on the same computer? [message #1829405] Thu, 02 July 2020 20:52 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
The subject might sound strange, but my situation is the following:

I have a Windows 10 laptop with Eclipse installed. There is a ".p2" folder in %HOME% with contents populated by Eclipse.

On the same laptop, I run a Linux VM through VirtualBox. I will run similar tools on the VM, and look at similar data. I will also have Eclipse installed on the VM.

I want to do whatever I can to ensure that the diskspace used on the VM is as minimal as possible. To this end, I'm going to make ~/.m2 on the VM be a symlink to a shared folder that points to %HOME/.m2 on the laptop. That seems safe enough.

Another possible optimization is doing the same for ~/.p2 . Is there any risk in doing this?
Re: Can ~/.p2 be shared between Linux and Windows on the same computer? [message #1829414 is a reply to message #1829405] Fri, 03 July 2020 04:53 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you mean the big shared bundle pool that Oomph stores there by default if you installed with the installer, so there isn't a way to share that across virtual machines. This Bug asked for that:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=544853

But I returned that as WONTFIX because it's too much work to develop and support such a feature.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Missing copyright info in RCP Application
Next Topic:Install of 2020-06 on Ubuntu 18.04 VM fails with "Input is not in the XZ format"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 17:48:20 GMT 2024