Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Proxy configuration is ignored (ERROR HTTP Proxy Authentication Required)(Oomph ignores proxy configuration)
Proxy configuration is ignored (ERROR HTTP Proxy Authentication Required) [message #1826916] Mon, 04 May 2020 14:22 Go to next message
Prakash Rao Vaddina is currently offline Prakash Rao VaddinaFriend
Dear all,
Want to install Eclipse 2020-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.
Downloaded the installer, and noticed it cannot go through our companies proxy. I entered the details by setting 'Manual' proxy configuration, including my login details. It was able to go through and reach the eclipse servers. Despite this, it cannot complete the installation. It fails with the following message:

----------------------------------------------
ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.transport.ecf code=1002 HTTP Proxy Authentication Required: http://download.eclipse.org/releases/2020-03/202003181000/content.xml
ERROR: org.eclipse.ecf.identity code=0 Proxy Authentication Required
at org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.httpclient45.HttpClientFileSystemBrowser.runRequest(HttpClientFileSystemBrowser.java:274)
at org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.browse.AbstractFileSystemBrowser$DirectoryJob.run(AbstractFileSystemBrowser.java:69)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

Took 0 seconds.
There are failed tasks.
Press Back to choose different settings or Cancel to abort.
----------------------------------------------

So my question are:
1. Why does my login details disappear everytime I edit these via the 'Network Proxy Settings' page ?
2. What the heck does the 'Native' proxy settings mean ?
3. What can I do to complete the installation ? I am aware of the option to download the Prebuilt binary without any installation step. But I just wonder what is going wrong here ?
4. Finally, If I search for proxy and eclipse on the internet, there are millions of search results starting as early as 2009. Multiple issues related to proxy, in one or the other form. So how long does eclipse need to fix this issue consistently ? Its a shame that such a trivial issue still exists in so many forms for so so long. How come everyone else manages to get over this while eclipse sucks big time !!!

Cheers,
Prakash
Re: Proxy configuration is ignored (ERROR HTTP Proxy Authentication Required) [message #1827008 is a reply to message #1826916] Wed, 06 May 2020 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
> Why does my login details disappear everytime I edit these via the 'Network Proxy Settings' page ?

The proxy settings are stored in the installer's preferences, but on Windows the installer is distributed as a "self extracting executable", so the installer is located in your temp folder and a new one is extracted each time run. If you switch to advanced model (via the menu in the upper right), it will ask if you want to keep the installer in a permanent location. If you do that, the preferences will persist. The installer also supports self-update, so if you keep it, you can also keep it up-to-date.

> What the heck does the 'Native' proxy settings mean ?

This means it will delegate to the operating system's proxy setting support. But given I don't sit behind a proxy, it's hard to say what that exactly means. And of course this is different for each operating system. In the end these are implement by the Eclipse Platform, not by Oomph so I'm not an expert in how all that is supposed to work.

> What can I do to complete the installation ? I am aware of the option to download the Prebuilt binary without any installation step. But I just wonder what is going wrong here ?

Apparently you need to configure your proxy settings "correctly" but given I can't reproduce your environment, it's impossible for me to say what's correct in your particular situation. Probably keeping it in a permanent location and using advanced mode to check that your proxy settings are configured as expected would help.

> Finally, If I search for proxy and eclipse on the internet, there are millions of search results starting as early as 2009. Multiple issues related to proxy, in one or the other form. So how long does eclipse need to fix this issue consistently ? Its a shame that such a trivial issue still exists in so many forms for so so long. How come everyone else manages to get over this while eclipse sucks big time !!!

Yes, Eclipse has been around for a very long time and it has millions of users. But very few of them ever click on the donate button:

https://www.eclipse.org/setups/donate/

My guess is that it will probably take forever to fix the issue consistently for several reason:

Firstly because it's not a trivial issue despite your assumption to the contrary. Firewalls and proxies can totally mess up the expected flow of network traffic, messing with headers and modifying behavior. Of course that is exactly the intent of such things, but it makes it a challenge to reproduce locally what someone else is experiencing in their special environment. But Eclipse is open source and is primarily focused on targeting open environment; that's what most of the developers work on.

Secondly while you are no doubt being paid to work on some software, you are using Eclipse for free. And most likely the company that is paying you has also not contributed anything to the community. So while you have high expectations, which is not at all unreasonable, in the end, free is free, and you get what you get. If you want more, you should consider what you can do to ensure that more happens. It's significant to note that no one is paying me to help you nor to develop any of this software. But probably someone is paying you and probably someone is paying the IT staff who manage your proxy and firewall, so if you complain to them you'll get paid to complain and they'll get paid to listen and maybe between the two of you, you can figure out how you need to configure your network settings.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Proxy configuration is ignored (ERROR HTTP Proxy Authentication Required) [message #1841643 is a reply to message #1826916] Mon, 24 May 2021 13:42 Go to previous message
David Greenwood is currently offline David GreenwoodFriend
It's a common situation for Ubuntu 18.04. I tried to fix this issue for a long time, but unfortunately, this issue seems to be not fixable at all. Free is free, as was written by the PP. I also had a couple of issues configuring proxies in Firefox. Damn, I've never thought that installation of a proxy can be that difficult for a guy who knows web design, WordPress, and all related things. Anyway, I was lucky to find a step-by-step guide at https://help.proxies.com/hc/en-us/articles/360061543293-Firefox which explained how to install proxies without problems. I hope that someday I'll find how to fix this issue with Ubuntu as well.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 May 2021 07:31]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:SSLHandshakeException when using P2 Directory in Oomph (installing manually works)
Next Topic:Custom product setup with 2021-03 looses setup reference
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 11:01:46 GMT 2024