Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Populating choose list performance: Windows vs. LInux
Populating choose list performance: Windows vs. LInux [message #1824409] Wed, 15 April 2020 01:19 Go to next message
George Aroush is currently offline George AroushFriend
Hi everyone,

I have a plugin that runs on Windows and Linux. The plugin presents the end-user with a choice list that has 40,000 items (this is not a typo and don't ask me why this is so, our application does it because the data in the choice list is customer data driven). On Windows, it takes about 10 sec for the UI to render and make available this choice list, but on Linux it takes 10 min. I know the underlying architecture is different, but I never expected to see such a huge delta. Any idea why?

Thanks,

-- George
Re: Populating choose list performance: Windows vs. LInux [message #1824418 is a reply to message #1824409] Wed, 15 April 2020 06:28 Go to previous message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
Hi,

It is very hard to guess where a performance issues comes from. The best answer you will get by using a profiling tool, some clues you can get by taking samples of the stack trace [1].

Best way to get some support on tracing down the issue is reporting a bug on Platform-UI or Platform-SWT. Attach a (minimal) example plugin to show the problem, and attach your profiling results.

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock
Previous Topic:Clipboard copy / past off popup menu
Next Topic:Blurred menu icons on Linux [HiDPI ]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 10:44:30 GMT 2024