Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Gendoc » Gendoc with Latex?
Gendoc with Latex? [message #1815800] Fri, 11 October 2019 06:51 Go to next message
Joel Greenyer is currently offline Joel GreenyerFriend
Hi Gendoc folks,
I was wondering whether I can use Gendoc also with Latex? I can't find any resources nor forum discussions on this.

This would be useful, since collaborative editing and versioning based on text-based files is more convenient than with word or open/libre office documents.

Thanks,
Joel
Re: Gendoc with Latex? [message #1815805 is a reply to message #1815800] Fri, 11 October 2019 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonio Campesino is currently offline Antonio CampesinoFriend
Hi Joel,

Gendoc target xml based document formats, like OOXML (Open Office XML) or OpenDocument (ODF) formats.
Text, HTML and any other text based format, can be handle directly with Acceleo. The only issue you need to come around is the how to handle the diagram images.

In the other hand, for Gendoc to be able to handle Non- xml format / tags based formats, we probably need to refactor some of the core interfaces, today based on tags, so we could manage both tag based documents and non-based tag documents.

I will bring it up, with the other commiters in the project, I think it could be nice if Gendoc will be able to publish HTL web sites also, and if we do HTML, we can do Latex easily.

Regards,
Antonio
Re: Gendoc with Latex? [message #1815885 is a reply to message #1815800] Mon, 14 October 2019 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Joel,

as LaTeX source files are pure ASCII text files you can generate them out of a Papyus or Capella model using e.g. Acceleo or Xtend.

Including diagrams is a completely different story ;-)

Depends on what you require.

/Carsten
Re: Gendoc with Latex? [message #1815888 is a reply to message #1815800] Mon, 14 October 2019 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Joel,

and by intention second reply to

Joel Greenyer wrote on Fri, 11 October 2019 08:51

This would be useful, since collaborative editing and versioning based on text-based files is more convenient than with word or open/libre office documents.

Interesting point, on one hand a generated document is just a generated artifact. As the generation process shall be deterministic the result is given by the source and the transformation. Consequently the generated artifact does not need to be versioned itself. It is implicitely versioned by the version of its source and the version of the transformation.

But on the other hand documents generated out of models are often the artifacts that get reviewed and signed. But in the case generated documents are the artifacts which get reviewed and signed this will most likely a review and signature process within a document management system (DMS) or content management system (CMS) that tracks all review comments and the like.

Given that I guess it is a rare case documents get versioned with source code revision systems like GIT, Subversion or the like.

/Carsten
Re: Gendoc with Latex? [message #1815890 is a reply to message #1815885] Mon, 14 October 2019 14:10 Go to previous message
Joel Greenyer is currently offline Joel GreenyerFriend
Thanks for your replies.
Having full gendoc support for non XML-documents would be nice.

What I found works for me for now is the papyrus feature that allows one to export all diagrams. Then I can include those from latex.
It of course does not replace all the gendoc features, but, most importantlly, there is a batch process to generate all diagrams...

Thanks,

Joel
Previous Topic:Doc generation fails if spaces in the model name
Next Topic:Generate multiple Word files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 21:39:15 GMT 2024