Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » WindowBuilder Design view rendering issues(Problems when working with the WindowBuilder)
WindowBuilder Design view rendering issues [message #1730641] Wed, 27 April 2016 10:06 Go to next message
Rolf Pedersen is currently offline Rolf PedersenFriend
I've set up Eclipse IDE for Java Developers Mars 2 release 4.5.2 on Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit Desktop on two different machines. One regular PC and one Asus UX305 laptop.
I'm using Oracle Java 1.8.0_92.
On both machines I experience the same issue when using WindowBuilder.

The main issue is that in Design view, the frame that I'm working on seems to show items at incorrect places, so that e.g. the rendered button and the surrounding boundaries for the button do not match up. The boundaries seem to be in the right position, while the rendered button seems to be offset by approximately the same as the main frame's top bar and side edges.
In addition, just after creating a button, it looks like I'm supposed to be able to write the button text right in the design view, but what I type is not shown before I do some other operation, like place a new button.
Sometimes if I click somewhere else in the Design window, it looks like it thinks it's in Source mode because a cursor shows up in the middle of the Properties or Palette area, and then if I start typing, the view changes over to the Source view again. Sometimes the Design view freezes and I've used reset perspective to get back control again.

I've added a screenshot where I've just added a third button. The boundary for the new button is in the correct place, but the button itself is rendered below and a little to the right. There is also an input with a cursor in it, but nothing is shown when I type something.

I haven't used WindowBuilder before, so I'm not sure if this is a new issue or not. But I couldn't easily find similar issues in the forum. Right now this problem does so that I can't imagine how I'd be able to create an interface with some level of complexity with this tool at all.

Any solutions, or do I have to resort to the textual source code instead?
Re: WindowBuilder Design view rendering issues [message #1730797 is a reply to message #1730641] Thu, 28 April 2016 14:20 Go to previous message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
That is a known Linux issues that we have encountered before that is dependent on the specific Linux window manager (even the specific version) and look & feel that you are using. Basically, Linux is reporting the incorrect widget locations. I would experiment with different window managers to see if you see different behavior.
Previous Topic:can't use GUI
Next Topic:Version for Mars 4.5.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 15:51:53 GMT 2024