The OpenUP is an iterative software development process that is minimal, complete, and extensible.
- The process is minimal in that only fundamental content is included
- The process is complete in that it can be manifested as an entire process to build a system
- The process is extensible in that it can be used as a foundation on which process content can be added or tailored as needed
OpenUP takes an agile approach to development valuing team collaboration and benefits to the stakeholders over unproductive deliverables and formality.
The process provides this progressive approach to building systems within a proven, structured lifecycle.
OpenUP is driven by the following core principles:
- Collaborate to align interests and share understanding
- Balance competing priorities to maximize stakeholder value
- Focus on the architecture early to minimize risks and organize development
- Evolve to continuously obtain feedback and improve