The BIRT newsgroup is for users of the project to ask questions, discuss ideas and so on. Join in and get involved!
- Information and Signup Guidelines for using the newsgroups. Instructions for signing up.
- news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.birt The easiest way to access the newsgroup is using your favorite news reader.
- Simple Web Interface If you don't have a newsreader, or can't access the NNTP server, use this simple web interface.
- Archive Eclipse keeps a history of past newsgroup postings for your reference.
- Search the BIRT Newsgroup archives for previously asked questions.
BIRT uses Bugzilla to track bugs and enhancements.
- Sign Up Create a Bugzilla account. Learn how to use Bugzilla.
- Report a Bug or Enhancement When reporting a bug, please give the exact steps to reproduce the problem. Please explain what went wrong, and what you expected to happen. For an enhancement, please explain how you'd use the new feature.
BIRT bugs are often associated with a report design. Please attach your design to your Bugzilla entry.
If you encounter a problem such as "An error occurred", or failure to open views or editors, please attach your Eclipse log file. To see the exception, use Window→Show View→Other. Open the PDE Runtime group and choose Error Log. Within the error log window, find the BIRT exception (if any) that just occurred. Double click on the error in question and you’ll see a stack trace. Paste that into your bug report, preferably as a file attachment.
- Search Bugs Find BIRT-related bugs using the Bugzilla search facility.
- BIRT Exchange is a community site where BIRT users can share ideas, technical tips and code snippets, as well as download software, documentation and examples.
- BIRT Exchange DevShare – Browse the repository of developer-contributed report designs, code samples, tutorials and articles
- Documentation – Access and download online versions of BIRT documentation
- BIRT Report Newsletter – Subscribe to the monthly newsletter to get BIRT tips and tricks emailed to you
- BIRT World is a blog covering all things related to BIRT with frequent contributions from Jason Weathersby and Scott Rosenbaum
Mailing ListsEclipse provides mailing lists for each project. BIRT provides one general-purpose list:
- birt-news (archive) Notifications to BIRT users about BIRT milestone and stable builds and other noteworthy information.
- birt-dev (archive) Development discussions about BIRT of interest to all BIRT committers. Topics include PMC meeting minutes, source code structure, CVS management, and integration among the various BIRT components. contributors and committers. Topics include PMC meeting minutes, source code structure, CVS management, and integration among the various BIRT components. Suggestions on how to improve the website or wiki are also welcome. Note: This mailing list receives numerous check-in and build notices. If you are not interested in these notifications setting up a filter in your email client will allow you to delete these messages or filter to a different folder for reading at a later time.
- birt-charting-dev (archive) Discussions about the charting subproject.
- birt-report-engine-dev (archive) Discussions about the reporting engine subproject.
- birt-report-designer-dev (archive) Discussions about the report designer subproject.
Want to contribute to the BIRT project?
- Build Instructions How to download BIRT source and build it.
- Project How the project is structured, who's on the PMC, project roles, etc.
- Mailing List While the newsgroup is for people who use BIRT, the mailing list is for those who help develop BIRT.
- Contribute Fixes and Code Interested in joining the BIRT project as a contributor? Maybe you found a bug and made a patch to the source code to address this, or perhaps you would like to make significant contribution in a specific area. This page provides more information on how to contribute code to the project.